The Crystal Stairs Head Start/Early Head Start Program is a critical part of our family services mission to improve the lives of families through child care services, research, and advocacy, providing comprehensive child development services for low-income children and their families. Head Start is a national program that promotes school readiness by enhancing the social and cognitive development of children through the provision of comprehensive services: education, health, mental health, disabilities, training, social and other services to enrolled children and families.
The Crystal Stairs Head Start/Early Head Start Program accomplishes the following goals for the development of each child in the classroom:
- Improve the child’s physical, social and mental health abilities, including improvement of nutritional standards;
- Help the intellectual and social development of the child by encouraging self-confidence, spontaneity, curiosity, and self-discipline through active participation in the classroom setting;
- Improve the child’s mental process and skills with particular attention to thinking and verbal communication skills;
- Create a climate of confidence to increase the child’s sense of dignity and self-worth to relate positively with family and others; and,
- Maintain the child’s cultural heritage, primary language and if possible learn a second language.
The Crystal Stairs Head Start/Early Head Start Program provides:
Active Learning Experiences ~ Nutritional Snacks and Meals ~ Social Services ~
Parent Involvement Activities ~ Services for Children with Disabilities
The Crystal Stairs Head Start/Early Head Start Program serves low-income families that reside in Compton and South Los Angeles at 8 Head Start sites:
Head Start/Early Head Start service options:
Center-Based: Comprehensive services for children ages 3 to 5 years of age. Hours are either full day (6
or more hours) or part day (3.5 hours). The full day option is available to families that meet full day
eligibility requirements for employment and/or enrollment in a vocational/training program.
Family Child Care Homes: Comprehensive services for children from 0 to 48 months of age in a
licensed family child care home setting, full day and five days per week. Families must meet full day
eligibility requirement for employment and/or enrollment in a vocational/training program
For more information on the Head Start home-based services, please call 323.421.1100.